March 21 LOCS (CDC) Email
Audience: Clinical Laboratory Professionals
Subject: Discontinue Use of the A549/MV1LU Mix for Respiratory Viral Culture Panels and Review Updated Biosafety FAQs
Level: Laboratory Alert
Because of the risk of infection with SARS-CoV-2 among laboratory workers, CDC recommends that laboratories discontinue the use of the A549/MV1LU mix when they perform respiratory viral culture panels. Using these specific cell lines has been shown to result in a very low level of SARS-CoV replication. CDC recommends that laboratories perform respiratory viral culture panels using cell lines that will not support SARS-CoV viral replication.
Additionally, CDC has recently updated the biosafety guidelines and frequently asked questions (FAQs). According to the updated guidelines, cultures or isolates of SARS-CoV-2 may now be shipped according to regulations for UN 3373 Biological Substances, Category B.
- CDC's Laboratory Outreach Communication System (LOCS)
- COVID-19 Information for Laboratories
- CDC Interim Laboratory Biosafety Guidelines for COVID-19
- CDC Coronavirus (COVID-19) website
- International Air Transport Association (IATA) Dangerous Goods Regulation
- IATA Packing Instructions 650
- Register for CDC Health Alert Network (HAN) notifications, including updates about the 2019 Novel Coronavirus. Enter your email address, search for HAN, and sign-up
If you have any questions, please contact us at LOCS@cdc.gov.